Social investments

We are steadily building an endowment for our Foundation to provide it with a permanent source of funding into the future. The Trustees decided that a proportion of our assets should be devoted to social investments - in other words, investments that generate a positive social impact as well as a financial return.



In March 2010 the Apax Foundation made its first social investment, through the purchase of a 20% stake in Finance in Motion.

Finance in Motion is an impact investing adviser exclusively focused on development finance. It is one of the world's leading asset managers in this field, advising funds with an aggregate committed capital of more than EUR 1.6 billion (as at 30 June 2016). Read More.



In July 2010 we made our second social investment, in the East London Bond. The East London Bond uses the mechanism of a charitable bond to deliver positive change for communities in East London, while preserving the capital of investors in the bond.

The East London Bond was offered by Allia (formerly Citylife), a national charity that issues Social Investment Bonds as a unique way to raise funds for charities. Of the total invested in the East London Bond, around 80% was to be loaned to social housing providers at commercial interest rates to develop affordable housing in the East London area. The remaining 20% was to be given as a tax exempt grant, divided equally between two charities working in East London - the Bromley by Bow Centre and Community Links. At the end of the 5-year bond holding period, the investors' original capital was returned in full - leaving behind a legacy of lasting change in East London. Read More.